Thursday, April 14, 2011

Plans

The list of projects I want to complete keeps growing. I keep adding to the list without being able to cross things off of it. One of the more ambitious projects on the list is building a bed frame or headboard. My boyfriend, Jason, and I bought a new mattress last year and, right now, it's on a frame with no headboard. We considered going the usual route and buying one but I would much prefer to make it ourselves. This will allow us to customize it to our exact needs and save money. This is part of a make-over of our bedroom that includes a home-made quilt which is on that list of things I need to complete. You can see some of the progress photos for it on my Flickr stream but once it's complete, I will share that here.

Ever since we bought the mattress, I've been collecting images and plans for do-it-yourself beds and headboards for inspiration. I am looking for something modern and simplistic, partly because that's my taste and partly because that seems like it will be easier than something complex.

I came across this DIY version of a headboard from West Elm on Decor and The Dog. It could be a good option, but if we decide to go with this style, we may make a few adjustments.




One of my favorite sites for DIY furniture inspiration is Ana-White.com. She builds furniture and shares her projects and plans on her website. Here are few of my favorites from her site.

I like this one because it has the clean lines we're looking for and her plans a for the complete bed frame. Also, as you can see from the photo above, it can be covered with fabric which I would love to do.

This reclaimed wood headboard is another of my favorites on her site and it may be easier than building a whole bed. 

This one could be great because of the added storage. I also like the idea of having cubbyholes instead of drawers where I could put beds for my dogs since one of my dogs, Ollie, likes to hang out under the bed when he's feeling anti-social.

Here are few more ideas from around the internet.



(via dwellstudio)
This could be very easy to DIY. I don't know if I would like it to extend past the bed on each side and would probably use a darker stain.

These are just a few of my favorites. I have a bunch more saved. Hopefully, we'll be able to make a decision quickly and get to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment