Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Day 04 - A Song That Makes You Sad

"Wake" by The Antlers- I happen to know a thing or two about sad songs. I love when music can affect me emotionally so they are usually my favorite. That made this day of the challenge, well challenging. There are plenty of sad songs that I love much more than the song I chose, but not many that make me feel more sad. This song is gut-wrenching, kick you in the stomach, rip your heart out of your chest sad.

The song is especially sad when listened to in context with the rest of the album it's from, which is a concept album about a hospital worker (the singer) who falls in love with a terminally ill patient. The song is the second to last on the album and seems to be the crest of the story. I think this is such a great sad song because it's not just sad. It takes you through the singer's despair and then builds to a moment of clarity and triumph that he will somehow be okay after what he's been through. The first time I heard this, while listening to the entire album, it brought me to tears. I still get chills every time I hear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment