Sunday, April 17, 2011

Day 07- My Favorite Cover Song

I missed the seventh day of the challenge because I was very busy and even more forgetful. As I mentioned in my last post, I am going rogue and making variations to the challenge. Some may say that this means I failed the challenge but I say, that by forging my own challenge path, I am stepping up and beating the challenge like no one before. Take that, pointless Facebook/Tumblr song challenge! On to the new improved, Janna's 30 Day Song Challenge!

"Enjoy the Silence" by Nada Surf (Depeche Mode Cover)- I grew up in the 80's and 90's with 4 older siblings and because of that, I was exposed to lots of their music as a kid. One of the bands that my older brothers listened to was Depeche Mode. I remember singing along to "Policy of Truth," "Just Can't Get Enough," and "Somebody." "Enjoy the Silence," probably their most popular song, was covered by Nada Surf on their 2010 album. This has quickly become one of my favorite covers. It's everything a good cover should be, reminiscent of the original song (clearly, it is the same song) but with significant enough changes to not be an exact copy. I love the change they made to the chorus.


Another cover worth noting is The Shins (surprise!) version of "Strange Powers" by Magnetic Fields. I hate posting videos that are just a picture with the song playing but it is so much easier than uploading the song and embedding the little mp3 player. There is probably an easier way but it's late and I'm sleepy. So here's a video of a picture of the band with the song playing.

No comments:

Post a Comment