Thursday, May 19, 2011

What I'm Listening To: The Antlers- Burst Apart

One thing I've learned since starting this blog is that, although I may not be all that good at it, I really love writing about music. Since I've completed the 30 Day Song Challenge, I want to continue writing about music, so I am going to do a, hopefully weekly, post about the music that is currently getting the most play on my mp3 player.

This week it's The Antlers new album, Burst Apart. I mentioned their last album, Hospice, during the song challenge. Hospice is an album that affected me in a way no other has. The story told on that album is so painful and the lyrics are so sorrowful that I cried the first time I heard it from start to finish. It was gut-wrenching. I thought it was incredible but I wouldn't describe it as an enjoyable experience. The songs from that album are often skipped when I'm listening to my mp3 player on shuffle. This is not because I don't love them. It's just that I am not usually in the mood for such dark music and a lot of the songs leave me feeling emotionally drained. 

The Antlers new album, Burst Apart, while still deeply emotional at times, feels much lighter and is easier to listen to than Hospice.  I agree with people that have said it is clearly influenced by Radiohead but I don't think that's a bad thing. The music is at times atmospheric and Peter Silberman sings in falsetto frequently which are both characteristics that remind me of Radiohead. While the album does have an upbeat feel, it can't be described as happy. There is still that gloom and heartbreak that the band does so well.  It still has it's rip your heart out moments, especially the song "Putting the Dog to Sleep." The album has been out for a little over a week and I've listened to it several times already and the more I listen, the more I like it. My current favorites are "Every Night My Teeth Are Falling Out," "No Widows," and the before mentioned "Putting the Dog to Sleep."





No comments:

Post a Comment