Sunday, March 27, 2011

Mash-Ups

I've done my best to avoid music mash-ups. Usually, I find them irritating. In most cases, if I like one of the songs being used, they ruin a perfectly good song by mixing it with an awful song. That is not the case with this mix of "Wonderwall" by Oasis and "What You Know" by Two Door Cinema Club.

In 1995 when "Wonderwall" became a hit, I was 14 and I was completely hooked on the song. I listened to it over and over and over again. I could sing it forwards and backwards. Then, it became one of the most overplayed songs in the history of music and I could no longer bare to listen to it. I am as much to blame as anyone else. It took about 7 years before I could hear it without cringing.

I hadn't heard the other song used in the mix, "What You Know," before.  When I heard the mix, I thought I would love it so I immediately searched for it and gave it a listen. It's upbeat and listenable enough but it's just ok. I found it a little disappointing after hearing the mix.

That being said, "Wonderwall You Know" is the perfect mix of these two songs. It takes out the lyrics from "Wonderwall," which I can barely stand to listen to, and replaces them with the lyrics from "What You Know" making a new, much more enjoyable song. It's nostalgic and completely fresh at the same time. Needless to say, I've already listened to it way too many times.

No comments:

Post a Comment