Thursday, September 22, 2011

Night Owl

For the remainder of September and all of October, I will be working the overnight shift at work. I start this Friday. I have Wednesday and Thursday off this week so I am trying to get a head start on staying up all night and sleeping during the day. Last night, I stayed up until about 5:30 am before I gave in and went to bed. Tonight, my goal is 7am which is only a little over three hours from now but it seems like an eternity.

While everyone I know sleeps, I am scouring the internet for things to keep my mind occupied to help fight the call of my pillow. I have plenty of TV shows that I could watch but I tend to doze off while watching TV, so that's out of the question. Reading also makes me sleepy. I feel like over the past few hours, I've seen every inch of the internet. The only hope is my the 1000+ unread items in my Google Reader feed, but as much as I usually love reading my favorite blogs, they just don't seem that interesting at four in the morning. So in an attempt to eat up some time before I can drift into blissful sleep, I'm writing a blog post.

I've had Pandora blaring from my headphones all night. I haven't been using Pandora very much recently because I wasn't happy with it's variety but I decided to go back to it tonight. To my surprise, it has been completely redesigned. After hours of listening, I can say that it is much faster than old Pandora and the variety has been good. Unfortunately, my chosen method of scrobbling to Last.fm, LastPandora.com, no longer works with new Pandora, but I was able to find a Firefox plugin to take care of that. The ads are still annoying, but seem to be fewer and farther between than before. As you can see below, I have only two stations, one of which is The Shins Radio. Surprised? You really shouldn't be.


While listening to Pandora tonight, I was reminded about the band We Were Promised Jet Packs, who I've come across before but had forgotten about. I'll end this post with one of their songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment