Tuesday, April 19, 2011

A Lesson in Humility

When I woke up this past Sunday morning, I was in an amazing mood. The sun was shining, I had gotten plenty of rest, and was ready to enjoy game 3 of the Capitals/Rangers playoff series. Jason and I loaded the dogs into the car and headed down the road to his parents' house. Everything was in place for an enjoyable Sunday afternoon. Then things went all wrong.

While driving, I pushed the button to roll down my window and enjoy the beautiful weather. I heard the power window's motor running but the window did not budge. I was not immediately concerned. This had happened once before, over a year ago, on my way home from a Redskins game at Fedex Field on a frigidly cold Monday night in mid- December. I had fantastic seats to witness one of the most embarrassing losses in recent Redskins history, a history that happens to be riddled with embarrassing losses. They lost 45-12 to the New York Giants and I was close enough to hear Jason Campbell's grunts and groans as he was tackled to the ground, repeatedly. After the game, we decided to swing by a McDonalds for some post-beat down nuggets. In the drive-through, I tried to roll the window down and it didn't move. I applied a slight amount of downward pressure to the window with my fingertips, and the window began lowering as normal. All was well.

So, this past Sunday, when my window acted as it had before on that cold night in 2009, I did the same thing. I applied the slightest amount of pressure to move it along, and with a loud kashunk, the entire window dropped into the door. Hmmm, that's not what is supposed to happen. I pulled into a parking lot and tried, in vain, to reach the window and pull it back up. I quickly realized that I was stuck with a window that would not close, it was Sunday, and I would not be able to do anything until, at the earliest, Monday morning.

So I went about my original plan, to watch the Capitals beat the Rangers and move to 3-0 in the series. I even thought to myself, "Well after this problem with my window, the Caps have to win. I can't have that bad a day." I was mistaken. The Caps did not win. Not the end of the world, but it made my already not so great day, a little worse. I also think it's strange that both times this has happened to my window, it's been on a day when a DC sports team, that I desperately want to see win, loses miserably to a team from New York.

After the game, I decided that, in case of rain, I should probably cover the window until it could be fixed. This is where the humiliation comes in. I used gorilla tape and clear plastic to make a temporary window. While I know it is temporary and there was not much I could do about it, it is still embarrassing. What makes it worse, is that I found out Monday morning that the dealership wants me to pay $350 to fix the window. Luckily, I have other options including an awesome brother who has a little experience fixing car stuff but that won't be until later in the week. For now, I am driving to and from work, and anywhere else I need to go, with a plastic wrap window. This post has no pictures because the plastic wrap window is something I prefer to not have photographic evidence of.

No comments:

Post a Comment